Thursday, May 3, 2012

UP Diliman Sculpture Garden--Hidden, Not Forgotten


Bridge of Love by Abueva | BlackBird Fly TLR x Elitechrome 400
"Whoa! Sculpture garden? In UP Diliman?! Where is that?"

That's the standard reaction I get whenever I mention this area in Diliman. I've studied there for four years and the only reason I've noticed this is because I'm predisposed to staring outside when I ride the jeepneys in UP than, say, talk to my companions. haha. I'm also more interested in sculptures rather than paintings or drawings or any other forms of art. Something about sculptures or installations that captures my interest, must be because they are so lifelike? I don't know. 

The Blood Compact by Abueva | BlackBird Fly TLR x Elitechrome 400
You'll find a number of sculptures seemingly haphazardly placed here. One of which seems to be either a copy or the rough draft of "The Blood Compact" sculpture by National Artist Napoleon Abueva, who himself was an alumnus of the UP Diliman College of Fine Arts. The sculpture on the gate is called the "The Bridge of Love" done by Abueva as well. Come to think of it, there are a lot of Abueva sculptures in Diliman, I might just embark on an Abueva Sculpture-themed photowalk someday soon. 



You'll find this gem beside the College of Fine Arts Building with the gate to the Garden located near the Parking lot of CFA. As you enter UP Diliman Campus via the University Avenue, turn Right at the Checkpoint and about 250 meters down, you'll see CFA.


Analogue Tips:

  • Cameras that can take square format pictures
  • High ISO film because the tree shade will block most of the sun out, no matter what time of day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment